A DOG who bit into a bottle of antifreeze was saved after being put on a vodka drip for nearly a week!
Mishca, a ten month old Samoyed pup, had a woozy New Year after sniffing out the bottle and chewing on it.
And had her owner Carole Wigglesworth, 56, not taken her to the vets straight away, it could have been fatal.
She said: “We came home and found her chewing a bottle of antifreeze in the hallway.
“It was just terrifying but had we not caught her the outcome could have been a lot worse. We called the vet and they told us to bring her immediately.
“We were all distraught at the thought of losing her.”
And when Mishca arrived, she was put straight on a drip to flush vodka through her system as the ethanol from the alcohol neutralises the anti freeze.
Vet Jenny Millington explained: “Mishca was very lucky that her owners realised what she had done as soon as they saw her with the bottle.
“Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol which is toxic for animals and if not treated within a few hours it can cause complete kidney failure.
“It’s one of the most dangerous poisons that we deal with. With the treatment, first we try to make the animal sick to get rid of any toxin,
“She also had a range of fluids to flush out her kidneys and we treated her with vodka in a drip because the ethanol in it acts as an antidote stops the ethylene glycol doing any further damage.
“She probably had 100ml of vodka administered very carefully but it’s not something I would suggest people do at home.”
Carole, a carer who lives in Northants with partner Simon Garner, 56, a psychotherapist, said: “We were surprised to hear how she’d be treated but all we were concerned about was that she was going to be OK.
“She spent five days on a vodka drip and another with saline in to keep her hydrated, and we were allowed to go to see her.
“She was stumbling around all over the place with all the alcohol but we knew she was in safe hands and that was part of her getting better.”
Each day she had several blood tests too to monitor toxins in her system and check her kidneys were working and eventually after a week she was allowed home.
Carole said: “She was really happy to be back, but still a bit red eyed and jaded after a week on the vodka. We did try to see the funny side and said she must had had quite a hangover.
“But in all seriousness, I hope sharing her story helps other owners realise that they need to be careful.
“Dogs pick up bottles and chew them, and we didn’t even know the bottle was there. It had been lay behind a curtain from before we’d even got Mischa.
“Now we are so vigilant and don’t leave anything around that she could chew other than her toys. We are so thankful to have her with us.”
The Veterinary Poisons Information Service received 51 enquiries about antifreeze or ethylene glycol poisoning in 2016, 29 cases in cats and 22 in dogs.
Out of the seven dog cases they received feedback from, three survived and four were euthanised.
Vet Jenny’s advice for owners who fear their pet has ingested antifreeze is to get help straight away. She said: “Every minute counts and leaving it too late could be fatal.
“It was a pleasure to treat Mishca. She is a lovely dog and I’m glad the outcome was a positive one.”
Michca’s story appeared in the Daily Star Sunday – read it online here.