Once Christmas is over, it can be hard to get motivated for the New Year and January is traditionally one of the slower months for most businesses.
While you might miss having customers bustling through your doors as they did in December, you can use the quiet time to get off to a flying start in 2017!
My New Year’s Resolution is to keep a marketing planner for my business and I’m currently using one from The Girls Mean Business.
It’s a website and support group set up by entrepreneur Claire Mitchell who has helped thousands of women kick start their own businesses and runs a support group on Facebook too.
Here’s some tips to get you started…
- Update your website, LinkedIn business page and social media profiles. Your customers are most likely to find you by searching online so make sure the first impression is the right one. Does your website show all the products and services you offer? Use the down time to create interesting content and images to inspire new clients to get in touch.
- Work on some blog posts. These help to personalise your brand. They might be tips for customers or a case study talking about how you helped them solve a problem. Always make sure you’re giving something useful or interesting to the reader. I read The Million Dollar Blog by journalist turned digital branding expert Natasha Courtenay Smith which is a really helpful guide on how blogging can help business owners and full of ideas of things to write about.
- Reach out to your customers for feedback. You can do this through surveys on your social media channels, through focus groups or as part of your e mail marketing. SurveyMonkey is a free survey tool where you can put together a list of questions for your customers. Ask what they like, what they don’t like and what they’d like to see more of and follow through on their responses. Tying in a giveaway is a good way to get responses too.
- Do some forward planning. Valentine’s Day is in February and Easter comes round soon too – can you create a competition or promotion to tie in with this? Whether it’s a new window display or a gift guide, it’s great to get some ideas together early.
- Share your reviews and testimonials. These are a great way to build trust in your brand by letting your customers do the talking. Create tiles on graphic design apps or websites like WordSwag and Canva showing what people have said about you and share them on social media.
Here’s to a happy and prosperous New Year and may 2017 be the best ever!
If you’d like help creating content or with your social media, call 07900082326 or e mail [email protected]